- Published on Wednesday, 29 October 2014 01:32
Come join the Barony of the Lonely Tower for a day full of exciting teaching and learning, and a night full of dancing! The Dansul Mortii is a Romanian themed Halloween ball (Dansul Mortii is the Romanian equivalent of Danse Macabre).
The Newcomer's Village is a chance to teach new skills to those who want to learn them.
Event Stewards: and
For information on classes and Artisan's Row, .
We have more than a dozen displays and demonstrations, and a full roster of classes! Unfortunately, the moneying demonstration has been canceled due to William Douglas's modern-day obligations. However, we have added new classes in persona development and combat philosophy.
For non-newcomers, don't forget the Back When I Started display. Bring something from your early days in the SCA and a short description of what it is and why it's still important to you. (3x5 cards will be provided.) Maybe you're proud of the great job you did, or amazed at how far you've come -- but share something from that first year or so.
There is a "Made-On-Site" A&S competition that attendees can enter with their newly learned abilities.
His Excellency Dolan is hosting a bardic contest for the Best Scary Story, with adult and youth categories. Share your spookiest tale!
Site is wet indoors and dry outdoors.
After a dinner break, there will be a pot luck dessert revel and everyone can dance the night away, with dances taught for the new or rusty. Come dressed to spook and practice your dance moves for Crystal Ball the next week!
- Persona Development, taught by HE Xorazne Tunics class, taught by Her Excellence Zoe
- Supply alert: This class will run until everyone is finished, with drop-ins welcome. If you would like to walk away with a tunic, bring fabric, a T-shirt that fits you, and if possible a spool of thread to match your fabric.
- Lunch break. There will be a hearty tavern on site.
- Make a Pouch Pattern, taught by Miklos Farma
- Combat Philosophy, taught by Sir Semjaka
- SCA-period Poetry Forms 101, taught by Aemiliana Mac
- Personal Development, taught by HE Xorazne (repeat)
- Lucet, taught by Nesscia (all ages welcome!)
- Combat Philosophy, taught by Sir Semjaka (repeat)
- Japanese Braiding, taught by Nakos
- Cooking Implements
- Calligraphy & Illumination
- Cut & Thrust display
- Armored Combat display
- Back When I Started / First Project display
There will be space for last minute demos or flash classes.
Have you found your closet cluttered by old garb? Your first feast gear sitting unused in a corner? Are there boxes of fabric you have no use for or old books stacked on your shelves? If you're looking for the perfect opportunity to clear out your SCA stash, bring any and all gently used items to the market happening during the Newcomers' Village and Dansul Mortii. Garb, feast gear, patterns, books, previous editions of the Compleat Anachronist, fabric, trim, armor, etc. are all welcome. Let's give our newcomers an inexpensive opportunity to outfit themselves for future events and soon to be discovered interests. Any donations can be left at gate.
- Csirke Gulyas (chicken paprika stew, gluten free)
- Chicken, potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, olive oil, kosher salt, bay leaves, black pepper, sweet paprika, hot paprika, dill
- Vegetable Ghivetch (roasted vegetables, gluten free/vegan)
- Carrots, potatoes, eggplant, peas, green beans, green peppers, parsley root, celeriac, turnip, cabbage, cauliflower, leeks, winter squash, garlic, onions, sage, rosemary, salt, olive oil
- Mamaliga (polenta, gluten free/vegan)
- Corn meal, water, kosher salt
- Bread (gluten free option available upon request)
- Cheddar cheese
- Hard boiled eggs
- Sliced apples
- Various sodas, juice boxes, bottled water
Items available a la carte, or a main dish with three sides and a drink for $5. Tavern closes when the food is gone or the cook's wine glass is empty.
When: Saturday, November 1 (site opens at 10:00am)
- Adults: $5
- Children 18 and under: free
- Non-member surcharge: $5
- Price includes potluck dessert revel. Don't forget to bring your favorite dessert!
Where: Springfield Community Building, 104 Main St, Springfield, NE